Rss

Archives for : Memorial Windows

Meaford War Memorial Window 1

Meaford War Memorial Window 2

War Memorial Window, Meaford, Canada, stained glass, Remembrance Day War Memorial Window, Meaford, Canada, stained glass, Lest We Forget

Meaford War Memorial Window 3

Meaford War Memorial Window 4

 

 

Meaford War Memorial Window 5

Meaford War Memorial Window 6

Coventry Blitz

In Window 3 near the bottom (above the lamb) is an area of tiny glass fragments indicated to have come from Coventry Cathedral. The small size is attributed to the fact that high explosives and incendiary bombs were used causing most glass to melt, and the remainder to be pulverized.

meaford-memorial-windows-coventry

“Operation Moonlight Sonata” the bombing of Coventry Nov. 14, 1940, early in the war, was intended to completely demoralize the population.

During my first few months in England the appalling destruction of homes and churches alike, along with the courage and determination of the British people to win through, seemed to make it desirable to link their sacrifice with ours in our memorial.” — Rev. Harold F. Appleyard

Holland, Belgium, France

destruction

From Louvigny, France where the Royal Regiment of Canada first assaulted the German line, comes a blood-red four-petalled flower. (top of Window 4).

meaford-war-memorial-window-louvigny

From Antwerp, Belgium, where the Regiment held the docks for five weeks before the drive up the Scheldt began. (“shoulder” of Window 1)

meaford-war-memorial-window-antwerp

From Groesbeek and Nijmegen, Holland, where the Regiment spent part of the winter opposite the Reichwold forest. (Near the bottom of Window 1 – the two circular designs on each side of the large head – one green, the other white/yellow)

meaford-war-memorial-window-groesbeek-nijmegen

Winchester Mystery Glass

In response to Rev. Insley’s request for information in 1987, Winchester historians said the collection of glass shards from Winchester could not have come from the cathedral, as its windows had been boarded up and survived intact through the War.

They suggest that a possible source of Winchester glass – judging by the unmatching fragments – was a 1936 discovery of a trove of French glass fragments buried at nearby Salisbury Cathedral. This glass, determined to be 14th- and 15th-century French glass, was being used for windows in a local chapel in the post-war period, at the time of Rev. Appleyard’s request.

The ‘Winchester’ fragments are located in the bottom left-hand corner of Window 3 (but not the grey-scale head which is from Southampton)… perhaps the fleur de lis and helmeted knight figures are the well-travelled ‘booty’ of previous conquests.

meaford-memorial-windows-winchester

“Gladly Granted”

canterbury-letter

In the cloister between the sanctuary and parish hall are two windows. The one on the left contains a large pane from Canterbury Cathedral, “gladly granted” to Appleyard by the Dean and Chapter in 1943. (Window 5). In response to Rev. Insley’s 1987 trip, the current Dean of Canterbury wrote: “Christ Church Meaford must be one of the few churches in the world, outside England, to possess glass from Canterbury Cathedral. Today, with the understandable stress on conservation, it would not, I fear, be possible to obtain the necessary permissions for the export of our glass. You are, therefore, in a unique and fortunate position to be in possession of two items.” (Windows 5 and 6 – the panes shown below)

meaford-war-memorial-window-canterbury

The cloister window on the right is made entirely of glass from churches in London built by 17th century architect Christopher Wren. This window, while part of the memorial, is the gift of Mr. G. Sherrin of London (architect), who was helpful in gathering glass from many of the churches in London. (Window 6)

Manchester Cathedral stated they had no record of which glass was chosen for donation to the Memorial Windows, and that in the urgency to raise funds to replace the damaged windows with just “white glass”, some of the most intact glass shards had been auctioned off to the public. (Window 4 top – face of Christ is from Manchester Cathedral, and the lower circular design depicting a monk’s blessing is from Chichester Cathedral).

meaford-war-memorial-window-manchester-chichester

Incidentally, the largest number of shards used in the Memorial Windows came from St. Mary’s, Southampton.